Click here to download this article.
COVID-19 Updates for Christian Schools & Preschools
Many churches and ministries are faced with unprecedented decisions regarding their Christian schools and preschools due to the COVID-19 public health crisis. This resource will assist your church or ministry in determining best practices during this challenging time. The majority of school districts in the U.S. have closed public schools, requiring distance or virtual education for students. States have requested that private schools follow the same guidelines to protect their students from exposure.
Christian School Recommendations
Our recommendation for Christian schools is generally to follow the lead of the public-school district in their area. Most states have mandated school closures through the end of April. States are reviewing requirements for days of attendance to determine how to manage graduation requirements. This is something we will keep an eye on in the coming days and weeks for each state as they make these determinations.
- Follow the local public-school district and state government's lead for closure.
- Provide continuity of education using distance or virtual solutions during this period of time.
- Keep teachers employed to manage distance or virtual solutions.
- Require student participation in distance or virtual programs.
- Keep children and parents engaged through daily communication.
You may close your preschool if you deem best. The majority of schools and preschools are choosing to remain closed through the end of April, waiting for further updates from state health departments and the CDC. During this time, stay-at-home options can be made available for families through Zoom or other distance solutions.
- Limit preschool attendance only to children whose parents have essential jobs.
- Maintain ten or fewer children in each classroom.
- Ensure a higher level of sanitation.
- Check the temperature of all children before they enter classrooms each morning.
- Send any children with temperatures home for a 14-day quarantine.
- Require a 14-day quarantine for any children who have traveled overseas recently.
- Immediately send home any children who begin exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms.
Resources for Schools
Below is a list of resources available to schools to assist in distance learning and extracurricular options during this period of school closures.
- Zoom.us (available for free to any school)
- Google Slides
- Amazon Future Engineer
As schools and preschools determine how best to respond, remember there is no one-size-fits-all solution. If you are still trying to determine how best to navigate this complicated time for your church or ministry, please contact our office, and one of our team members will gladly assist you in answering your questions. Contact our office by calling 888-233-6255 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about other resources at https://digitalpromise.org/online-learning/online-learning-resources/
School Closures in the US:
- Statewide: Alabama | Alaska | American Samoa | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | District of Columbia | Florida | Georgia | Guam | Hawaii | Idaho | Illinois | Indiana | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | Nevada | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New Mexico | New York | North Carolina | North Dakota | Northern Mariana Islands | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Puerto Rico | Rhode Island | South Carolina | South Dakota | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Virgin Islands | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin | Wyoming
- Local: Iowa | Maine | Nebraska
*Updated each day 11:59 pm EST